How Hacks Happen
Hacks, cyber crimes, and other shenanigans explored and explained. Presented by cyber security teacher and digital forensics specialist Michele Bousquet. howhackshappen.net
F12 is not a crime! Except in Missouri.
In October 21, 2021, Josh Renaud, a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper, privately alerted a government authority that their website had vulnerabilities. In response, the governor of Missouri, Michael L. Parson, brought charges against the journalist for ”hacking.” This story would be hilarious if it wasn't true. Update: In July 2022, Josh Renaud was awarded The National Press Club press freedom award for his work.
- Get the ”F12 IS NOT A CRIME” T-shirt
- Original St. Louis Post-Dispatch article: Missouri teachers' Social Security numbers at risk on state agency's website (requires subscription to view)
- Arstechnica article: Emails show what happened before Missouri gov. falsely called journalist a “hacker”
- Governor Parson's Facebook post – Enjoy the comments.
- Missouri State Highway Patrol report
- Fundraising video: Gov. Parson holds fake news accountable. Enjoy the comments.
Search Results placeholder